7.13.2010

Caught me by surprise.

Starting with Sunday... it was a great day... I went and helped at Sunday school, and right when I get there I go into the 2nd graders (yes I'm following with my first graders), room to help them with craft.  This sweet lady also helps me.  She takes the bible verse cards the kids filled out to the mail box (it's our tradition).  She helps me get the utensils needed for the craft all set up... she's a few years younger than me, and she always says she's "Rebe's little helper."  It's so true, she's the sweetest thing, and I appreciate her.  Reading this... you would never assume that this girl has cerebral palsy.  Some of the kids give her odd looks, or plainly ignore her.

Now, this is what most people give to the disabled.  Working with a disability for almost 3 years now has really equipped me with the tools needed for these kinds of circumstances... and I just have extreme compassion for the disabled.  the Lord has given me a compelling sense to reach out to these people.  Whenever I see anyone being left out my heart cringes.  And I've been one of those people who have done nothing about it.  and it hurts.  I still can't believe to this day I've done that.  i even knew what it felt like to be that only kid who wasn't apart of anything.... and i still did nothing.  In the 4th grade i was blessed by a true spirited person I had met at the church I was attending at that time in Minnetonka.  she is now one of my closest friends... and also apart of the family who led me to joni & friends.

Back to the story, I have done my best to include her into the conversations that the kids and I have while they do their craft before the worship//lesson.  My students have been getting more used to having a CP helper in my class, and it has been wonderful.  It's one of the greatest things I have personally seen happen with my own eyes.  And I truly treasure it.

Now, when sunday school was done yesterday, I decided I needed to talk to her  for a little bit, because I knew she didn't get much attention throughout the weeks... and I wanted to let her know I do think she is one of my friends (Because sometimes I don't think she knows that).  And so I went up to her after SS, and I was like.. "What are you doing this week?"
Her: "Umm... nothing really."
And then she started to choke up a little bit...
Me: "Emily what's wrong?"
Her: "My dad is gone..."
Me: "Where is he? When does he come back?"
Her: "He's visiting my grandpa in the hospital... and because of that, we don't know.  It's very stressful and sad without him."  And at this point she was crying uncontrollably.
 Now this crying I was used to... because my other friend who has CP has done this very thing numerous times and I have witnessed it.  Her mom, which I am close to, has talked to me about it... saying it's something she simply can't control.  She can't just stop crying like we can, it takes her until it's essentially all out.  It's something I've come to get used to, know how to handle, and am okay with.

She kept telling me "Sorry, I'm so sorry.... I apologize."  Like crazy while she was crying.  I reassured her it was okay... and she had nothing to worry about.  I just quietly rubbed her back, and told her it was okay.  Her mom came rushing over as soon as she could.... and I could tell she was utterly embarrassed.  That's how skewed our society has gotten.  People have to be embarrassed about their disabled kid crying, because no one is educated how it's something they can't handle, and it's completely normal.

Now after all that morning drama, my sister and I attended service, went home, ate lunch, and then a friend decided that we needed to go shopping... so we did so.  Walking through Ridgedale to find food (because I was starving), I ran into the people who lead Sunday school.  And I ran with open arms to this girl I work with in the mornings.  She was laughing and had the biggest smile I had ever seen on her in my life (and last summer I also worked with her).  I ended the embrace after a good moment, but her hands remained on my hips, and so to not make awkwardness, I kept my hands on her shoulders as I talked to her sister//mom about why they were shopping.  I gave this beautiful girl another hug, and yet, she still wouldn't let go of my hips.  It was just pure enjoyment for me... it meant a lot truly.  They we parted our ways... and I was truly refreshed to know what it meant to be drowned in joy... pure joy.

In all conclusion of this super long post, I think we need to be accepting of all.  I even had a conversation with my mom about this tonight (which I learned that I am so thankful for the wisdom my mom so easily tucks away...) WHO ARE WE TO DISCRIMINATE. Jesus said "for the person who is WITHOUT fault, cast the first stone."  we can't discriminate because of disability, sin/shame, culture, beliefs... God doesn't discriminate.  He says any one person is eligible to coming to his arms.  it doesn't matter if you were an atheist, doesn't matter if you were a prostitute, doesn't matter if you are paralyzed... Take a look, because God loves you.  God loves others, too... so show a little love.  experience true joy, and take time to help others......



 This is me, Sunni, and Kate.  Sunni is the girl I met in the fourth grade... truly a blessing to so many people.  I wouldn't trade this friendship for anything... and also, this is my one of my favorite quotes that was said during the training for Joni & friends last year....
"Don't look at the disability.  Look past the disability, into the heart of the person."  -Just like you would someone else.  That's all that matters.  They even went to say... it wouldn't even MATTER if you knew their disability or not.  And it's so true.  Look past a disablity, and see the genuine person inside instead.

<3,
Rebecca C

No comments:

Post a Comment